KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

Combos

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John
      Participant

Jab, jab, crossHeaven-6Chain PunchSystems hold striking patterns that can easily be cycled through and redone repetitiously in order to allow a barrage of strikes to occur.The barrage of strikes performs a variety of strategic objectives. It can momentarily overwhelm your opponent and "freeze" his mind for a second allowing you to flow into a more decisive movement to end the confrontation. It can cause the opponent to raise his guard (assuming you're attacking high line) so you open up low line. Or it can just directly be used to beat someone down. My personal favorite is to use it as a momentary bridge when crossing from the counter fighting range (outside) to the infighting range.The elbow, followed by backfist, is a common one in the Dethouar family arts (the elbow strike and going into "home" position in Djuru Satu and any Serak djuru ingrains this mechanic). Sigung has shown us a better one by showing an elbow, backfist, punch and then follow with the other side immediately, to create a nice 6 step chain in our basics, so we IMMEDIATELY see a good combination chain that is usable right out of the gate.One of the exercises I like to do to fully explore my arts is via the 9 angles of attack (originally shown by Guru Inosanto in his book "The Filipino Martial Arts" which came out in the 70's or 80's). It holds the common up, down, left, right, forward (ala Hsing I's 5 Fists or Miyamoto Musashi's Go Rin No Sho when he discusses sword angles), as well as the typical diagonal angles seen in the Cinco Teros of most Kali systems (downward diagonal left, downward diagonal right, upward diagonal left, upward diagonal right, and the previously mentioned thrust). 8 swings, and a thrust. An asterisk or star pattern. Some systems have more angles, but this is simple enough.With this angle template in mind, I like to isolate strikes in my forms. For instance, looking at Djuru Satu, there's the forward punch, backfist, horizontal hammer strike, horizontal elbow, downward punch, upward slap, sangsot, upward elbow, sideways pushing elbow, horizontal leapord strikes, downward double hand pull, etc. etc. (Djuru Satu is really a system all by itself...lotsa goodies). Then I apply each strike to the template. So my forward punch (on the thrusting angle) is now looping punches on the other angles (done left and right side). The horizontal elbow is done at all angles. The sangsot is done at all angles...wait, is this repetitious with the other punch? Then dismiss the duplicates. The backfist is done at all angles. Etc. This same template can be applied to knees, kicks, stomps, etc.Then I begin to explore what angles feel good as a follow through. For instance (and the # of the strikes mapping doesn't matter for this example), on the 9 strike template, a #2 strike, flows very well into a #5, which then loads my other side to follow with a #2 strike and again into a #5 strike, which loads back my other side, allowing me to cycle through this repetition over and over. Or perhaps my #6 followed by #8 loads my opposite side allowing me to horizontal kick with that side. It doesn't cycle, but it feels good.This gives me my unique expression of a combination, based on the forms. Once the forms are mastered, this allows a systematic, but still free-flow and flexible expression to uniquely express your vision of the art. To be able to isolate all the thrusts into their own unique form. To be able to mix tiger slashes with a twin dragon thrust. Etc.It really helps to bring the forms alive in a new and different way that keeps them constantly fresh, and possibly by reframing the movement in a way to give a fresh perspective. Each form is really a WHOLE encyclopedia. This is simply parsing the encyclopedia to thoroughly research a particular subject. And used in conjunction with the other forms available, it provides a limitless exercise.By no means am I saying this is superior to how the forms are laid out. Infact, the forms themselves are works of pure genius. This is for me, simply a different method to allow a deeper exploration of what we have. This doesn't even address the many other variables that are inherent in this exercise alone (are you crossing and uncrossing your hands as you strike, are you gunting on each of the angles, are you using hammer/anvil on each angle, are you doing a double slash on each angle, are you in a boxing stance, what body mechanic you're using, etc). This curriculum is really empowering. It provides a short list of what's required to reach Guru Muda, but provides an endless amount of ways to tailor it to each individual who wants to practice it. Its not rigid and cookie cutter, like many other systems. It empowers an individual to explore and be able to express their inner spirit via the application of this material. And that inner spirit is allowed to grow and change as we come to understand this system in new and different ways.This is just one of many exercises I like to do when I'm exploring forms. If anyone has others, please share.Thanks,John

Steven Vance
      Participant

An added reason for a barrage of strikes is that things rarely work as well outside of the class as in.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.