KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

looking for a biginners Karambit video

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      jim
      Participant

Hello i am new here and would like to start with a beginners karambit video for starters.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kuntaoer
      Participant

Jim,
      I might recommend this to you:

Karambit – DVD

jim
      Participant

thanks i will check it out.

jim
      Participant

Any body else have any suggestions on any other dvd,s ?

Christopher
      Participant

What you get out of any knife DVD might also depend on what background experience you have with unarmed combat.

Have you practiced Kuntao or Silat or any other art previously?

Art Kidwell
      Keymaster
      jim
      Participant

Hello as for any training nothing to speak of really.i was looking at the Sayoc karambit video and the Doug marcaida video also.

Kuntaoer
      Participant

Hi Jim,
      Like anything, it comes down to what you are looking to achieve. There are many videos on the market by people who I am sure are fine martial artists. But KTS is something distinct from most of the FMA practiced out there, and the difference is in it’s very DNA. Kuntao Silat is a syncretic art that teaches many things as one – instead step 1, step 2, step 3 – it has step 1 (23456789) and so on. But the beauty is you do not need to focus on each and every step – you simply follow the lessons of the movement, and all of the other attributes pour out. In my 36 years of martial arts training, I’ve never seen a system that taught bladed defense so naturally, so quickly and so spontaneously. To really get the benefit, it is best to spend time with a skilled player in the art, but absent that you do a lot worse than trying the video. Although it might be better for you to simply start at the beginning – not worry about ‘The Kerambit’ as a separate thing, and try the DLP course – this would give you the tools to pick up a Kerambit, a water bottle or virtually anything and have self defense skills that are efficient, practical and effective. (As long you train.) It’s up to you. But I thought I might through that out there.

jim
      Participant

Kuntaoer i appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.I will check out the DLP course on the site.

jim
      Participant

This DLP course is it the guru certification course with the 10 dvd set?I have looked there are many dvd,s on the site.

Art Kidwell
      Keymaster
      Christopher
      Participant

I’m a beginner to the Guru course, but speaking in general, what I’ve always learned with a knife is that it’s fight first, knife second. Look at some CCTV footage of knife attacks and how fast they go down. All of the unarmed combat skills become essential knife/counter-knife skills. That ability to recognize situations and act decisively, know how to move your body, know how to sense your opponent’s intent from pre-fight to full on ambush.

One of the things that turned me on to Kuntao-Silat was the Swiss army knife versatility of all movements. You do it unarmed and you do it with weapons, and it’s essentially the same movement. You just have to put in the work, persistently, often as possible, and always strive to get better.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Christopher.
      Fabrice
      Participant

Hello everyone.

Christopher, You are right about the fast pace at which real knife attack happen. And as you point out, the best defence you can have is the ability to recognize the tell-tail of a knife attack.

In Executive protection training, you learn to observe and identify potential movements and the first thing you want to keep your eyes on are the hand of the person you suspect/confront. As soon as the hand disappear from your sight, i.e. it reach into a pocket or get behind their back, you must be ready to react the moment it apear again if there is a weapon in it. Also scan the belt line and pocket opening for any knife clip showing. When I was working security in Bars, I often “pick pocketed” knife from people to “safe keep” until they leave the bar.

Always assume there is one more weapon you don’t know about yet and keep your guards up.

To link this to KTS training, you might have noticed that we often slide our hand on our body. This allow to train the reaching and grabbing of our own weapon while fighting without doing an extra movement or needing to disengage. It also make its use more stealthy and difficult to notice for our opponents.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.