KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

More everyday training tips

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      donweiss
      Participant

Came across this – https://www.myselfdefensetraining.com/neck-cranks-and-brick-bonus/ – and was wondering for other folks ideas on constant training.

I saw the video of the driving and using the fingers/hands for control. Another idea for driving is to use the wheel as a stationary item to practice isometrics, constant forward pressure as well as directional. Or with a light touch – both applicable to a sticky hand type of practice.
      Don

Estevan Mulloni

That hand posture is a Qígong exercise (known as “Holding the Ball”, “Embracing the Tree”), that teaches a convenient structure for combat applications as well. If you keep your hands at 10:10 (imagine you are facing a clock-face ) and try to maintain a 108° degrees angle at the elbow joint whilst keeping your shoulders relaxed..there you are!!!

Christopher
      Participant

Get a thick section of PVC pipe, maybe two inches thick. Grip it as tight as you can with both hands and start flexing your wrists in opposite directions, while gripping so hard that you can hear little “clicks”. Do this for timed rounds on the clock. I learned this in Shuai Jiao training.
      It’s popular to drill a hole in a PVC pipe and put a cord and weight on it, then roll the weight up and down, but the unweighted style is still very effective and portable.

You can also exercise your grip by…
      -Opening and closing the hands as fast as you can.
      -Doing push ups on straight fingertips.
      -Wringing out a wet towel by twisting it forcefully for time.
      -Doing body rows or pull ups holding the ends of the towel (it’s about as hard as rope climbing).
      -Holding isometric wrist extension with claw grip.

At my last job, I had to spend a lot of time loading vehicles and moving things around a store. I ended up maintaining a decent horse stance just by doing that, since I ended up lifting boxes in that position all the time to protect my back.

In general, getting in the habit of doing squats or horse stances a lot or sitting on the floor.

Whenever you go for a walk or have to warm up to lift something:
      Throw a bunch of slow swinging kicks to front and side, crescent kicks, twist stances (sempok/depok/silo) from the legset, etc. Besides preventing injuries, you’ll get freakishly loose and limber.

Punch/kick training:
      Any random free time:
      -Set a repetition goal for a movement and count up to that number of repetitions. If you want to get good at something, start with a few reps a day, build up to at least 100.
      Any time in front of mirror, before washing your hands, etc:
      -Spend a minute mimicking the body language and distance control that you use when someone is openly hostile to you. Throw some punches and watch every detail of your reflection. Do you flinch or grimace right before you move? Do your shoulders twitch before your hand fires out?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Christopher.
      Steve
      Keymaster

Absolutely Don! That’s how I started when I was driving for a living in the 1970s. Got it from the Charles Atlas Dynamic Tension program from back in the dark ages. The concept evolved for me as I continued to drive and ride bikes for long distances and perceived a need for constant exercise and breathing.

But here’s one of the most useful versions of Constant Training I’ve yet seen:

Constant Training – Work Station Workout demonstrates the application of KunTao Silat training in virtually any profession people engage in.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.