KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

alternative medicine & martial arts

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      rshively
      Participant

I don't consider myself a professional in medicine. I'm more of a student. I've studied massage therapy, as well as herbal medicine.I've read that some people are rather jealous when it comes to alternative treatments. Dit Dah Jow, for example, is often a closely guarded secret. However, after spending a few years in herbal medicine I found that plants are universal in their healing properties. Some medicinal plants were exported worldwide due to military conquest, or through commercial trade. Some have not only asian, but european, as well as western (north & south american) counterparts. In fact, asia is a large importer of ginseng from the U.S., where it is processed than re-sold abroad under a different name/claim.For example, the common "weed" plantain in not native to the U.S. The indians called it the "white man's footprint." It was brought to the U.S. by european settlers, with possible origins in india. Its main use was for blood poisoning. It has the ability to aid in quick healing of open wounds by drawing the toxins out, preventing infection.Another medicinal transplant is the dandelion. Outside the U.S. it's a cash crop, with roots that grow quite large, primarily used as a substitute for coffee. It one of the bitters, or bitter herbs used for cleansing the liver. One of the best sources for herbal medicine in the U.S. is the late Dr John Christopher at herbsfirst.com. Many of his past newsletters are free of charge, and his master's text, the "School of Natural Healing" is one of the best sources of usable formulas. Their bone-flesh and cartiledge (BF&C) is identical to most dit dah jow recipes, and can be used with either an alcohol base (for external use), and oil base for massage, or even in pill form to work from the inside. When you go to herbsfirst.com, check out the ailments link, as well as the books link for more detailed info.Another good site is michael w moore's southwest school of botanical medicine. He has a lot of ebooks going back more than 100 years detailing different herbal tratments http://www.swsbm.com.There are a number of good sources out there. Just like martial arts, you have to take the time and look to ferret out the good from the bad. One thing to remember is that the american indians were highly skilled in herbal medicine, often times even willing to share their knowledge, instead taking it to the grave.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you Ron, lots of folks are getting interested in these “natural” eating and healing subjects. Please feel free to elaborate.Peace,Art

John
      Participant

What is your recommendation for arthritis and inflammation?John

rshively
      Participant

I myself suffer from the onset of arthritis. The lower back, hips, knees, shoulders and elbows don't bend the same. I have good days and bad days. I have found that there is some good info. This is a link to Dr John R Christopher's past newsletters, specifically dealing with arthritis: http://cleanse-nourish-heal.org/newsletters/arthritis.htmlPersonally, I think our biggest problem is our diet. I don't believe that we lack the ability for physical exercise (martial arts training), only the desire to actively pursue it-arthritic pain. I believe that our diet is a primary source for arthritis, along with other health issues. The different types of foods we eat can alter or affect our energy levels, mood swings (hormone-chemical levels) even our thought processes: how we feel about ourselves, others, etc. My problem is that (like most everyone else) i enjoy food too much. I think our taste buds assume a more dominant role as we approch middle age. By this time we've experienced most everything life has to offer (family, friends, intimacy, success, failure, etc.) so I think its fair to say that our awareness regarding our sense of taste heightens. So, is there a methods/means to cure arthritis? Who can say... But, until there is a profit to be made in curing arthritis, I'm stuck like everyone else looking for a way to minimize its effects. I can't afford to change my lifestyle (becoming amish isn't something I would relish). But, I believe that a series of small changes can have a cumilative-positive affect.I'm sorry if I wasn't much help. I hope the link can answer your questions

John
      Participant

Thank you for the post. Have you purchased his supplement before that he advertises on the site? What are your thoughts on it?Thanks,John

rshively
      Participant

Actually, I haven't purchased much of his formulas, but I did take the courses offered through Christopher's school of natural healing. I have most of their formulas that list the different herbs. So, I put together a lot of the different combinations at home. It's basic kitchen chemistry. If you can put together a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, you can work with herbs successfully.The one thing I found that seemed to work the best is juicing. If you can, purchase a champion juicer. They're the best (and most expensive) on the market. Very high quality in construction. Juicing is one of the best ways to introduce the necessary vitamins, minerals, nutrients into your body in liquid form, which your body recognizes as food. Most garden veggies like: carrots, celery, radishes, broccoli, peppers, etc. can supply a lot of your basic necessities, which can improve your overall health. Your body can repair itself if you're able to provide it with what it needs. A main rule for juicing: homemade juice is far better than store bought juice. the nutritional value of homemade juice is extremely high, but should be consumed within a few hours after juicing. Store bought, pre-packaged juice is months, if not a year or two old, having little or no nutritional value. Fresh is better.

wayne
      Participant

Hello everyone _ you might be interested in my Grass Roots Medic downloadable dvds…..I am new to AKTS yet not new….heres the link…http://www.grassrootscivildefense.com/Grass_Roots_Civil_Defense/GRASSROOTS_MEDIC_DEFENSE.html

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.