KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

Fascination with the Blade!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Travis C
      Participant

What is it about knives that interest you the most. We are in a bladed art and most of those blades are short enough to bring your adversary into very close range! You know you have a deep interest in the blade or you wouldn't be here. So spill it! What about the knife has attracted you?

Elijah Gartin
      Keymaster

I love the sense of safety the knife brings.

Travis C
      Participant

So true! On top of that I think there is an inherent danger that goes along with a knife that is a great attractant as well. I have a folding karambit that is always a distraction for me when nothing else is going on. I too enjoy the action of flipping it open and just getting practice time with the intimate handling of the blade. To be truly great or just to be reliably good when it comes to deploying a blade in combat of any kind, you have to have that time spent with your knife to understand its workings and so it becomes a natural action to deploy. Develope that muscle memory!

Travis C
      Participant

There has to be more than a couple knife nuts on here!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yep, I'll bet there is.

Travis C
      Participant

That would be nice! I am actually developing protos of the plans we were looking at! I am turning those into trainers first to get a feel for them and work out any kinks before they go to a “live” model. I have been working on blanks for the mock folders though but not sure if I would have them ready by then. I have to go out of town for a few weeks coming up and will be away from my shop. Will try my best to get something up though. We really need to get a few more people into the blades area of this forum so we can get the juices flowing!!!

Steven Vance
      Participant

Overall, my greatest preference is for swords, actually.

Mas Jonty
      Participant

I wonder if I'm the only person here who doesn't like knives. I study knife fighting because I know what can happen if you don't.I have scars all over my back and shoulders from knife wounds I collected when I was in my 20's. I almost lost my thumb once in a friendly training incident.The glint of the blade; that "snick" as they open; the nasty sense of humor that my Filipino teacher had. The idea that "winning" really just means making it to the hospital before I bleed out...it all leaves me feeling ill these days.

Steven Vance
      Participant

I doubt you're the only one.

Travis C
      Participant

I tell you what… I'm a law enforcement professional and before that I was military/ contractor, etc… Ive seen my share of conflict. I have engaged in real life bladed conflicts and have many scars to unfortunately prove it. In my opinion the blade is a much more dangerous weapon in close quarters situations. A) they never run out of ammo, B) less technical to handle (anyone can pick up a blade and pose a threat where most firearms require a lot of training), C) can be deployed much quicker on average than a firearm (making a blade wielding attacker more dangerous than a person carrying a gun). These are just to name a few. I myself believe you should be proficient with both and a blade in the hands of someone trained can be absolutely freaky-scary! Anyone also wanting to get into conversations about bladesmithing or anything else blade related, I have some posts that have been up for a while that I would love to get rolling.

Mas Jonty
      Participant

According to the “Die Less Often” video, most “good guys” die from an attack that originated within 6 feet. Also, you are 85% likely to survive a bullet wound, but only 65% likely to survive a knife wound. I haven't checked those facts, but they sound likely.I have friends who laugh at the martial arts, claiming that the invention of the firearm made them obsolete. (The invention of the tactical nuke didn't make the firearm obsolete.) I ask them if they have a firearm on them. The answer is usually "No." If the answer is "Yes", I ask them if they could be sure they could remove it from its holster, chamber it, take the safety off, point it and pull the trigger faster than I could jump over the table and hit them.Like it or not, knives are still very much in play in self-defense.

Steven Vance
      Participant

I'm sure most fatalities do occur at close range, and that knives are more likely to be fatal than guns.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have been been incredibly facinated with the knife every since I was child as young as 4 or 5 I remember seeing all the different styled pocket knives and various bladed tools in my Grandfathers work shop and immediately was taken in by them. I recieved my first pocket knife around the age of 5 with the parental instructions of ” Be careful dont cut yourself “, of course I quietly went behind a piano opened my knife and ran my finger across the shiney edge of the blade and cut my index finger, the silent voice inside my head said “Oh ####” and

Elijah Gartin
      Keymaster

According to the "Die Less Often" video, most "good guys" die from an attack that originated within 6 feet. Also, you are 85% likely to survive a bullet wound, but only 65% likely to survive a knife wound. I haven't checked those facts, but they sound likely.

I just wanted to make a comment on this as far as the medical standpoint on this.

Steven Vance
      Participant

Also speaking from a medical viewpoint, bullet wounds from smaller calibers and regular bullets at very close ranges are often through-and-throughs, with correspondingly small wound channels.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.