KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

GM U’UN Surya (Sifu Thio Cuan Un)

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      sigobang
      Participant

Hi, everyoneMy Name is Bangbang Sudradjat, I live in Bandung, Indonesia. I am a student of combined kuntao and silat (mainly silat which developed in west Java). I am now studying from guru Iwan Kartawijaya (Sifu Sien Kwang). Thanks for letting me joined this forum. My guru studied maenpo peupeuhan together with GM U'UN Surya back in the late 70's under Bapak Adung Rais in Bandung. They are also good friends. It's a shame I didn't have an opportunity to meet him personally, as he has passed away back in 2000 I think 🙁 May god bless him.I am very surprised to see a picture of a great Grandmaster, Om (uncle) Cuan Un on this site https://kuntaosilat.com/images/chang.jpg and couldn't be any happier to see him in action. My guru has told me stories about him. I have spoken and trained with many of his students here. I am sure they would also be glad to see more pictures or videos of him in the USA back then. If you could tell me more about him, I would be more than happy to listern 🙂I apologize for my limited english 😀Cheers

Travis C
      Participant

Selamat,It is good to hear from our bretheren from across the water. Welcome and God Bless.

sigobang
      Participant

thanks for the speedy reply 😀Have you met him personally? I am really curious on how he moves on his contact reflexes, how he moves to make every conflict to become closed ranged fighting. How he lures and traps his opponents. If any suheng here could give me more pics or videos of him, I would be one of the happiest man 😀Salam

Elijah Gartin
      Keymaster

First off, thank YOU for joining our forum.

sigobang
      Participant

Thanks Elijah. 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Bangbang,It is good to hear from you.

Steve
      Keymaster

;DGood to hear from our Indonesian Brothers,Bill Chang was one of my closest friends and most important mentors.

Steve
      Keymaster

🙂 Greetings and my highest regards for all the KunTao and Silat Practitioners around the World,My friend Bill Chang {U Un Surya} saved my life!

sigobang
      Participant

Oh my God. I cannot thank you guys enough with the information and pictures. I am really glad to see this. Thank you very very much

JoJurianto
      Participant

Hi guys. I am so excited in joining this forum where I can finally meet fellow silat fighters from another countries. I used to study under Wes Tasker who had been a student of Guru Victor DeThouars back when I was still studying in Boston. I too am very interested in GM Bill Chang, so it'd be a treat (for everyone) if someone could post some videos of GM Bill Chang.

sigobang
      Participant

Hi guys. I am so excited in joining this forum where I can finally meet fellow silat fighters from another countries. I used to study under Wes Tasker who had been a student of Guru Victor DeThouars back when I was still studying in Boston. I too am very interested in GM Bill Chang, so it'd be a treat (for everyone) if someone could post some videos of GM Bill Chang.

second that 😀

Anonymous
      Inactive

;DFound some more photos.

Anonymous
      Inactive

😮Two more.

sigobang
      Participant

Thank you very much sir…

sigobang
      Participant

I came across this http://www.makephpbb.com/nubreed/viewtopic.php?p=471&sid=c8eb73a8a05cf6a5072f7667d547dfea&mforum=nubreed on the internet a few times. Its been written in several forum, and I think I need to correct a fact about GM U'Un surya. It is said that uncle U'un Surya died in an anti chinese riot In Indonesia. All I have to say is, this is not true. I know a lot of people that are close friend to him. The truth is he passed away peacefully somewhere in Bandung. God bless his soul...

boto
      Participant

Hello,I'm Tanto, also from Bandung, Indonesia.My father was a student of GM U'Un Surya.When I was a teenage, he told me stories about GM U'Un Surya, it was very interesting listening to the story about GM U'Un Surya.All in all from my opinion, U'Un Surya was a great martial artist and he was a very humble person.When I read what Master Steve wrote ("you have too many moves, confusing!!"), I suddenly remember what my father told me about GM U'Un Surya when he was studying with GM U'Un Surya: "simplicity".By the way, it's true what sigobang said, that GM U'Un Surya was not died in an anti chinese riot in Indonesia.He passed away peacefully in Bandung. @sigobang, salam kenal dari Bandung gan 🙂Anyway, @sigobang, are you still practicing U'Un Surya's maenpo?If I may ask, with whose U'Un Surya's students you practice to?Thanks 🙂PS. Please pardon my English.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Welcome to our AKTS Forum Tanto,Do you and your father continue to practice Maenpo? Steve told me that he met with Lisa after U'Un Surya's passing and she also confirmed that he had crossed his arms in peace, not in a riot.

boto
      Participant

Hi Art, thank you for the warm welcome 🙂Currently I don't know whether my father still practicing or not, since I'm not living in the same roof with him and rarely met him.As for me, I never seriously practice maenpo or any other martial arts, eventhough my father did taught me a few basic maenpo moves, basic chikung (Qi Gong) but that's a long long time ago (±15 years ago, iirc).But my little brother did practice seriously at least until ±2-3 years ago.I agree, GM U'Un Surya is a very talented martial artist and a very humble one, that's what make people respect him very much I think.One of GM U'Un Surya's line that I likes:"No one is great -- not even me, since no one immune to bullets"That's came from a person (GM U'Un Surya) that able to make holes in an un-holded empty can on the table using his fingers punch.And the can didn't shift place at all.The can wasn't holded by anything, he just put it on the table as is and then he fingers punch it.Even if we shot a bullet in that can, it would still move. You can imagine how fast he was and how great his Qi Gong was.My father told stories about GM U'Un Surya's abilities, that I used to believe that no one in this real life could ever do that (e.g. only in movies).I'm not exaggerating, that's what I heard & believe about GM U'Un Surya.With correct practice, human able to achieve such abilities.With such abilities achieved, he/she must use it wisely.In here (Bandung / Indonesia), there were plenty of people who wanted to be his direct student. But GM U'Un Surya was very carefully choosing his students. He had his own criteria for people who will be his students. He has only a few direct students in here (Bandung) that I know of. Also he didn't collect "school" fees from his students.But there were also people who wants to challenge him too, but AFAIK from my father's story, GM U'Un Surya were never responds to such challenges. Some of them (that GM U'Un Surya refused to fight to) do spoke bad words about GM U'Un Surya afterwards, but he simply didn't care. And there were some "funny" story about this event that I don't dare to share to public.It's good knowing more story of GM U'Un Surya from people far far away from where I live.It's also nice to talk to you Art.Regards,Tanto

Elijah Gartin
      Keymaster

Hello All and thank you for accepting me in your forum. I met Sifu Chang at a Demo in Salida, CO. I was there as a representative from my Ed Parker School in Canon City, CO. I think Mr Gartin was there then; I think his group brought Sifu Chang. I asked for instruction in the Chinese Healing Arts. over the next few months I met for interviews with Master John Chin, Master Willis Yap and other representatives and was accepted as a student, signed a contract and enjoyed an elaborate induction ceremony, September 1981.I commuted to training in Denver and lived with Sifu Chang for extended periods in Denver and Manhattan Beach California. I was aware that Grand Master Willem de Thouars was Sifu Chang's Sponsor for INS purposes and they were close but I never met him.I have an early article written by Master Steve Gartin about Sifu Chang.As was customary by tradition, I introduced Master Chang to My Kenpo Grand Master Ed Parker at the International Kenpo Championship Tournament at Long Beach CA in 1981 and received Mr. Parker's blessing to study what he considered extensions and ancestral roots of Modern American Kenpo. I had asked to study "Healing," but Sifu Chang said I must learn the Art. I studied mostly his Meng Po Kung Fu but was into Shing Ie and Silat as well.I love Mr. Parker and Mr. Chang very much and was devastated by the passing of both within months of each other. I am however, still guided by the Living Spirit of both. Sifu Chang said "I am not finished with you yet."I so happy to have found this forum and the Family that gathers to Honor each other around the World. As Sifu calls us: "My kids!"All the bestDoug SchwinnGrand Junction Colorado. I have begun a facebook page: Doug Schwinn Kenpo/Kung Fu. i would enjoy hearing from you.

Elijah Gartin
      Keymaster

Sigung, I hope to one day learn the information you have acquired from GM Chang. Until then, God speed my friend.Aric

sigobang
      Participant

@tanto: wow, really nice to finally meet fellow local Bandung guys who show interest on GM U'un Surya… I would really like to meet your dad… my guru is not a direct student from shifu u'un as I said earlier in my post, he is a junior to GM U'un while they were practicing maenpo from pak Adung Rais.. they are also good friends… Please contact me on my mobile phone (022)70736222, thank you very2 much @tantoI have actually met 2 guys in Bandung who are direct students from GM Thio cuan un, one of them is only in his mid 30's.

Steve
      Keymaster

Fond greetings to all,It warms my heart to see the Family surrounding my dear Friend Bill Chang {U un Surya / Thio Chuan Un}Doug, please keep in touch. Good to find such a long time connection.I am building Chang's teachings into the upper level of American KunTao Silat, so I'd really appreciate some input from GM Surya's friends and students.He was a treasure to me and I'm overjoyed to see that he is fondly remembered and followed by such a noble lineage.Peace & Power,Steve

Anonymous
      Inactive

Greetings all,Steve just posted another of Bill Chang's teachings on YouTube:Internal Stanceshttp://youtu.be/AG94vtqNE5M

sigobang
      Participant

very nice. I think it's quite familiar with what I have seen done by GM Surya disciples. The rooting, rotation, closing the gap, except the spine part, as far as I know they always keep the spine as straight as possible without leaning forward or back.. Very nice. Thanks for the video

Steve
      Keymaster

Very perceptive Sigobang, You are correct. GM Surya gave me the information necessary to adapt his knowledge to my style. He always shared essence with me and never endeavoured to craft me into his mould. I carry this concept forward to my disciples. I honour Bill Chang as my true teacher and mentor.I cordially invite any of GM Surya's disciples to teach the KTS Family. Please let them know.May YHVH richly bless your House and Family,Steve

sigobang
      Participant

Very perceptive Sigobang, You are correct. GM Surya gave me the information necessary to adapt his knowledge to my style. He always shared essence with me and never endeavoured to craft me into his mould. I carry this concept forward to my disciples. I honour Bill Chang as my true teacher and mentor.I cordially invite any of GM Surya's disciples to teach the KTS Family. Please let them know.May YHVH richly bless your House and Family,Steve

Thanks 🙂I can help contacting Uncle Surya's disciples, but they are mostly located in Bandung sir 🙂

Steve
      Keymaster

Thank you very much Sigobang, I would very much desire to learn and to pass on to my followers the essence of GM Surya's martial art. I realize that I only received a small portion of it because we were friends and I never committed to learning exclusively from him; we had a different relationship and it has enriched my life in ways I've not yet fully understood. I would also greatly appreciate it if you would pass my fond regards to his wife, Lisa. She is a rare jewel of a noble lady and I have great respect and admiration for her. I pray that she is surrounded by friends and family who appreciate her great value and treat her with the reverence she deserves. May you all be bountifully blessed and protected,Steve

sigobang
      Participant

You are a very nice person sir. Unfortunately I do not know GM surya's family personally. But one day if I ever get to know them I will mention you sir 🙂 God bless.. 🙂

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.