KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

Head Position in First Stance

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Sihing73
      Participant

Hello,I am curious as to the proper position of the head while performing the first, and I guess second stance. The stance I am referring to is the circular swinging from side to side. I noticed that Sigung Steve seems to turn the head with the body, but some have suggested keeping the head straight and fixed on a point ahead without turning. This stance also changes to moving the feet as well which is what I am referring to as the second stance, although I suppose they could be considered the same with a variation. I appreciate clarification as to whether or not the head should turn. It seems to make sense to turn the head, but you never know.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I'd have to say both concepts would have their own value.

Sihing73
      Participant

Hi Art,It seems that concepts are in abundance ;DI can see the value of both approaches, head turning and still. Seems to me that AKTS is really about freedom of expression using the concepts and techniques to fit your own personality. Can't wait to see where I will be in six months and then a year.

Anonymous
      Inactive

8) The American Spirit is omnivorous ~ there is a reason that more ancient cultures don't want to share their “secrets” with Americans.

Sihing73
      Participant

Hello,Had a chance to work with Derric today and had some corrections made to my stances. It is starting to become clearer to me, I just need to practice more. The mindset has a lot to do with how one practices. You are right, Art, have a Guru within easy access is very fortunate. Peace,Dave

Anonymous
      Inactive

;D Yes, it's true.

Derric
      Participant

Hi Dave-

Travis C
      Participant

Guru DerricHere is my 2 cents. I would agree 100 persent with that and I notice during training that you have the ability to throw fast, rapid punches with a great deal of power. This is how I came to this conclusion. I do a lot of bag training with heavy, 150 pound full length bags. I have been involved in some form of martial arts for the past 25 years or so. I have 12 or more years of Muay Boran and Muay Thai under my belt and working with a heavy bag was always a necessary thing. When practicing on the bag performing a punch out sequence, using the stances and punching techniques, the proof is in the movement of the bags! To be able to punch as fast as you can and make a bag of this size dance around the room is proof enough for me. It has the speed of a Wing Chun punch and the power of a Karate punch. I was a cop for a while, recently retired from the field, and a military contractor for many years and have relied on my skills to

Derric
      Participant

I like that.

Travis C
      Participant

Point on!Something I love about Silat and AKTS is the fact that it addresses a fairly untouched area. Let me explain... There are 4 ranges that you can enter into a fight. Kicking range, punching range, trapping range, and grappling range. Im sure you notice, as you mentioned in your post of the punch and kick fight, that most fights go there. Its either kicking range or punching range. Then you see a lot of streetfights go to the ground. No offense to the BJJ guys but if I have two or three guys intent on kicking the hell out of me or worse, the last place I want to be is on the ground! What I love about AKTS is the ability to circumvent both of those distance ranges and get straight to the inside range of trapping. This is the area that most systems ignore yet I believe is the most important. All of your powerful weapons come into play here like elbows and knees, headbutts, etc..., plus all of the controls and throws. I think this is one of the reasons that Silat practitioners are so hard to deal with! Especially AKTS and maybe Cimande or Serak (I know there is some Cimande and Serak in the curriculum of AKTS).

Derric
      Participant

We think alike.

Elijah Gartin
      Keymaster

We think alike.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.