KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

How did you find KunTao Silat?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey, I'm just playing with the toys on our new Discussion Group.

Travis C
      Participant

I dont know if everyone knows but for the longest time if you asked anybody knowledgeable in the bladed arts, who is one of the best knife practitioners and/or fighters in this country today, you will most likely get the answer STEVE GARTIN! I have been a practitioner of Silat, Kali, and Muay Chaiyuth for well over a decade now, and involved in other martial arts ever since I was 4.(now 31) KTS has been in my heart and on my mind for a long time so not only did I search out the system of American Kuntao Silat, I searched out the man behind it. To know that this system is from the lineage of William De Thouars is icing on the cake! I actually found the site not even knowing about the Distance program. I actually never thought I had a chance to ever train in KTS without attending a multitude of seminars and going to train in person at a formal school. When I realized that the oppurtunity existed for me, I jumped on it! In ending, I have to say that Sigung Steve Gartin has given us a great oppurtunity and a true gift by creating a situation where everyone has the chance at experiencing and learning KTS.God Bless all,Travis C

Anonymous
      Inactive

I first witnessed Kuntao Silat at a Masters on the Seminar in 2001. I was very impressed with the people and talent. I have been interested ever since.

Elijah Gartin
      Keymaster

I first met Sigung Gartin in 2004 i believe. I trained under his direction continuously even while learning from Uncle Bill and Auntie Joyce and finally earned my Guru Muda certificate from Uncle, Sigung Gartin, and Sigung Clements in 2005. Having the experience of all three really fast forwarded my training a whole new level. In addition to a great deal of hard work on my part. I truly feel blessed to have had the experience of all of the Old Timers and Uncle/Auntie to benefit from. I would like to say thank you to Sigung for his kindness, friendship, and long talks with me.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wow

Mas Jonty
      Participant

I'm completely new to this art, but here are my two cents.I recently spent several years studying Serak. In my... 34 or so years of studying martial arts, I had never found something that fit my character and mind as well as the Indo approach to teaching. It was a revelation for me.When I decided to leave Serak behind (all love and hormat to everyone who taught me, but politics and ego should never interfere with your students' growth) I went back to studying my main Chinese art, Kunlun Mountain Fist. When I went looking for more information on the internet, it took me right back to the DeThouars family. Perhaps that's a sign.I decided to sign up because not only is the quality of the training that I have seen excellent, but the teachers seem to be focused on teaching well and developing good solid character, rather than the usual political games that come with studying martial arts.

Royal Dragon
      Participant

I have a freind of mine who is very accomplished in this art and teaches in his basement (you all know of him I am sure). I just sort of started playing with it and gradually, over time it became more and more of my central practice. Take djuru satu. I really didn't care about it. In fact i actively ignored it because I wasn't all that interested in the KTS. I was just doing it because I was there, and everyone else was doing it. I never even practiced the form. Then one day i was asked to show it and I just knew it. Not only did I know it, but I wasn't half bad with it either. I don't even know how that happened. I think in my case it's more accurate to say KTS found me.I don't want to let go of my Shaolin system however, so I focus most on the stuff that directly over laps (Like the way both arts systematically disassemble the opponents structure). My study is mostly on gross concepts, ideas and positioning tactics. I like the way the art engages better though. The Shaolin stands in such a way that you are a half step ahead of your opponent at all times. The KTS has you a full step ahead.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I've been searching for a method that best suits me.I must admit, when I found this site I thought wow god answered my prayers. Then as I began to dig deeper into american kuntao silat, I find that sigung is of the de Thouras loneage. I said to myself, it's gotta be official.I originally started looking on youtube and reading many things on kuntao silat. So in a sense, kuntao silat found me.....not the other way around

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.