KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

Karambit DVD

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I'm going through all the DVDs again, some I haven't watched for years, trying to set up some meaningful combinations for the DistanceLearning People.

Anonymous
      Inactive

And another one by Guru Joe Judt:Well, I'm experiencing the effects of middle-age after an evening out with an old buddy of mine. This gave me plenty of time to view the new Karambit video from THUNDER ROCK - Maha Guru Steve Gartin's production company.First off, this is one the best produced tapes yet. In terms of giving readers step-by-step instruction, and clear direction, it easily stands out.The Karambit has been the 'it' thing the past few years, probably because, well, they look cool. Ironically, this is exactly WHY you shouldn't carry one most of the time. God forbid you need to defend yourself and use a sharp implement to do it, but you can expect to be looked at extra cross-eyed by the polizei if you are wielding a bloody klingon-esque weapon.However, knowledge of the Karambit is central to KunTao Silat training. Long before I had gotten into it officially, I viewed it as a core weapon in my KunTao Silat practice. Why? Well, it just fit in naturally to the training. Plus, because of it's easy deployment, a small Karambit has been a frequent friend on some my, um, less friendly visits.What a pleasant surprise that this new DVD clearly shows for the KunTao Silat player just how elegantly this signature weapon plugs into the skills they have been developing.The application session is wonderfully assembled, rather than the completely free-form (yet informative) material you will find on previous DVD's, Maha Guru Gartin supplies a clear breakdown of basic buah, demonstrating KunTao Silat strategy with the use of the Karambit.This should be required viewing for KunTao Silat players, and if you don't play KunTao Silat, I think you will find a real wealth of information that is ready to use, right out of the box.Perhaps the most mind-blowing aspect was the 'final' techniques as demonstrated by Guru Mudah Aric Fowler. I must admit that this use of the Karambit was very enlightening indeed, and I intend to practice the heck out of it before the Silat-a-Palloza!Joe Judt

Travis C
      Participant

I have a truly personal relationship with the karambit. This is a great DVD in the fact that it gives you insight on what the karambit is to the Indonesian people and basics on how it is used. Then on top of that it goes further into application of the weapon and how to integrate it into djuru training.

Anonymous
      Inactive

OK!

John
      Participant

Just thought I'd poke my head in real quick. I should have been focused on the DLP, but with so many wonderful DVD's to watch, I wandered over to the Karambit DVD. 🙂Goodness, what a fantastic resource. The DVD starts with Maha Guru Gartin talking on a very uneven rocky surface. He does some impromptu footwork showing a footwork dexterity that few will ever possess. I ain't brown-nosing. I dare anyone to hop around those rocks while talking about the arts, with the kind of casualness that only comes from decades of training. What an intro. Sometimes the karambit is disregarded as a "more show than go" weapon. The sacrifice is blade length due to how its held, its inability to be used as a traditional blade would, etc. The DVD provides some fantastic historic descriptions of the device with a great description by Pak Chas, and then goes onto the fantastic forms demonstration and then applications of the device with Maha Guru Gartin. First, let me say that they show the Kuntao Silat preferred ways to use the device...as opposed to every possible grip. What this means is high percentage holds, with solid grips. Dexterity drills are shown but not meant for combative application. After which, you get to see how a djuru (Djuru Satu) looks WITH blade. Surprise, surprise, very little changes in the form, but being able to see it really sinks home the genius of the forms themselves.Later we're treated to multiple applications with the karambit by Maha Guru out of Djuru Satu. This is interesting for two reasons:1) Watch what get's repeated over and over in each application... That means its a high percentage move and the "spirit" of the Kuntao Silat.2) Watch the deltas. What's the differences? Sometimes VERY subtle. This shows the versatility. 3) Notice a lack of too much "controlling" with the karambit? Some Karambit DVD's show a flurry of limb controls in a single application. Makes me think that they must assume folks only use dull karambits. This shows the real deal with this devastating device. A fine utility device, but not for passing someone's arm around 3 or 4 times. And these come only out of the first form. This opens the door to a lifetime of exploration if you were to go through all of the forms in the AKS catalog. And a lifetime if you restrict yourself with JUST the forms for Guru Muda advancement (each form with a karambit, swapping attitudes between forms [IE: Satu down with Pai Yun attitude], swapping moves between forms, making new sequences and chains based on these forms, with forward grip, with reverse grip, with two, with one forward and one reverse, two forward, two reverse, etc etc etc). Great stuff. And be sure to stick to the end to see Guru Aric Fowler's (I believe that's him) showing the most original (and possibly best) use of a karambit I've ever seen.What an absolute treat. Some folks like watching Ice Skating or Ballet. Me? I love watching Martial Arts Masters. To see the pinnacle of an art I enjoy is just the bee's knees to me. John

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.