KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

What do I need to know for Level One???

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings to the KTS community!

One of the most common inquiries Pendekar Steve and I receive is some variation of, “What do I need to know to pass my Level One test and move on to Djurus Satu?”

Level One can seem overwhelming, as in a sense, it has 90% or more of the curriculum. All of the fundamental hand work, leg work, stances, the Kendang Triangle, Qigong principles, body mechanics, etc. are all shared straight out of the box. The forms are merely increasingly adroit means by which to apply these basics with sophistication and savagery whilst also developing one’s physical capabilities.

To save a lot of time and worry, here’s what we want to see when you submit your test:

1) Your PERSONALIZED warm up, including as many of the stances, handwork, and Qigong as you can perform at your current physicality. Certain deeper or more advanced positions and movements may not be possible for you until you have been training daily for months or even a few years. THIS DOES NOT PRECLUDE you from moving on to Level Two!

2) Your performance of the Kendang Triangle Footwork. Our basic entries and our forms are based upon the movements and tactics developed by this basic martial dance.

3) Three applications of ANY basic against ANY attack to show that, even if you only want to train, “for health,” you understand the physical principles behind the movements so you can get the best results from your solo training. Remember that in Chinese martial arts and medicine, the Yi (focused mind) guides the Qi (energy of life, feeling, physical power) so if you don’t have a good “mindset” or purpose behind your movements, you will not receive the full benefits martially or medically.

We have lots of long term players who are still at Level One after several years. Don’t stay there! Send in your tests. My in person students typically are ready to test after approximately three to four months of training.

Sigung

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.