KTS-Sensei-Bottom-Menu

What Is Your Blade of Choice?

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Travis C
      Participant

I am not going by brand name. I am going by the type of knife. I have a true love affair with three types of knives. I love a well made Barong to start. Great knife that is large enough to put some weight in your hands, yet small enough to be handled easily. My two faves though are the Karambit and the Keris. The Karambit is just “all business” and is very easy to conceal. As an officer, I carry a foldable Karambit on me every day. This is the blade I have studied the most in both Silat and Kali. The Keris is just the pinnacle of Indonesian blades though and are held in very high regards by the Indonesian people. This is their equivalent to the Japanese and their Katana. It is treated as one of the members of the family. In my opinion these are by far the most beautiful blade on the planet and all of the mystery and mystique that surrounds them just adds to the attraction.

Tim Nichols
      Participant

Blade?What blade?Why would I have a blade? ;D

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have accepted Sigung Steve's teachings in this regard.

KnightlySirJames
      Participant

My favorite blade is a Springfield XD .40 cal.

Travis C
      Participant

Thank you Art. I am reoppening my business soon(retail blades,etc)and will have a lot to offer to anyone needing a new “toy”. I can get practically anything namebrand and am also importing some very nice traditional blades from an artist in Indonesia. Stay tuned and Ill inform everyone when it is up and running. You can sned me an email with questions if you have them. travis@kuntaosilat.com

Travis C
      Participant

My bad! I meant send.

Anonymous
      Inactive

;D

Travis C
      Participant

I have the best and the worst of both. Im from Texas but living in Florida! Thats double trouble.

KnightlySirJames
      Participant

Thankyou Mr. Kidwell,while I would like to see the blades the fixtures on the handle are reassuring, unlike those on kris cutlery which look almost exactly like I want the, handle of kris cutlery's blade looks too fragile for combat application.Knightly Sir James

KnightlySirJames
      Participant

Mr. Caton,While I may need to coax my finances (as things are VERY tight, right now) I would be interested in finding out the cost of the kerambits Mr. Kidwell showed pics of, and possibly pics featuring specific blade geometry... blessing on your endeavors, in our current economy any attempt at "self" reliance is admirable.

Travis C
      Participant

Here is the deal. The karambits that Art posted are directly from a contact of mine from Indonesia. I am setting up a trade agreement with him and am looking to bring a package in that contains an assortment of traditional Indonesian blades. If you want in on this, I will let you have the blade or blades at cost. I am not going to try to make money off of this deal only set up this trade so it is a good opportunity for people to get a traditional made piece of art for next to nothing. I will upload pics of the blades in a few. So far the package will contain a new keris, 5 karambit, and 2 badik. A lot of exotic woods and burls used and the keris is complete with a traditional pamor(damascus) blade. Here are the prices….keris 125.00, 2 badik 90.00ea, 5 karambit 40.00ea. If I can get enough of these placed then the order can go out. Fair warning though, it can take up to 4 weeks to arrive from Indonesia. If interested send email to traviscaton@live

Travis C
      Participant

Karambits

Travis C
      Participant

Badik

Travis C
      Participant

Keris with 11 Luk blade

edragn
      Participant
      Travis C
      Participant

I see there are a lot of Spyderco fans here! I too am a fan of Spyderco and for “out of the box” performance you can't ask for better. They made a mini folding barong that is fantastic. It is mini by barong standars but large for a folder. Its still small enough to fit in the pocket well but it commands respect when deployed!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Travis,Where could I view a picture of that one?Peace,Art

Travis C
      Participant

I will find some and send them your way.

Steven Vance
      Participant

I wanted to take something pretty serious with me over to Iraq, when I went in '04.

Travis C
      Participant

I'll tell you what, Colombian River is way too underrated in the tactical knife world. Good strong product. I am not 100 percent loyal to one certain brand. I have bought a few Spyderco's and absolutely love the Spyderco Barong folder. I own a few Cold Steels as well and they definitely make a good product. To go with what Steve was mentioning about the Sharpie, working in the contracting world, there were many situations we were in that didn't allow us to carry our carbine or side arm. If you cant carry a blade find a good strong pen. I use the stainless Zebra brand pens you can pick up at Staples for about 5 bucks. They are refillable and make a great improvised weapon. If you like the HRT then you can also check out Ka Bar. They make great little kerambits and a few other little monsters. I am also a huge Blackhawk fan and they have a knife called the kalista that I carried on me as a cop for a long time. Its a great down and dirty fighting blade with an incredible amount of mounting options and goodies to go with it.Everybody remember the golden rule of combat..... Chance favors a prepared mind!

Steven Vance
      Participant

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mas Jonty
      Participant

I carried a couple of large Columbia River folders for a few years. I wish I could remember the model. Great knives, although they had a weird thumb lock that got in the way.These days, I'm looking at the Gunting Drone, and similar blunt folders. You can use your knife skills without having to cut anyone. At least in theory.

Steven Vance
      Participant

I'm glad to hear that Columbia River makes good blades.

Mas Jonty
      Participant

I think the knives I carried were the CRKT M-16 Zytel. They were recommended to me by both Jerry McCleary and Tuhon Bill McGrath of Pekiti Tirsia. Big handles. They were of the opinion that knives that are too small for your hands are one of the most common mistakes you can make. They both know more about knife fighting than I would want to know.

Steven Vance
      Participant

I would prefer a certain amount of my knowledge concerning knives to stay secondhand…That is a nice looking folder.

SigungAric

Knife? My opponent has the knife I'll use on him.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.